UNC General Alumni Association Top level navigation map  

Go Back   GAA Forums > Main Forum > Tell Us About...

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Who Made a Difference

Was there someone at Carolina a professor, administrator, staff member, another student who was a major influence in your life? Did they give advice, help you through a rough time or inspire by example? Tell us about them and how they made a difference to you.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Freshman Poster

I took almost every course taught by Dr. Armitage but was never a star pupil, either for him or any of the other English professors I had. However, Dr. Armitage always encouraged me to do better and try my best, even if by comparison I was a terrible English major. I think he understood that while my grades weren't stellar, my heart was in learning. I enjoyed my studies. He was and I assume still is a fantastic educator who enriched my Carolina years.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Freshman Poster

John and Joy Kasson were not only outstanding instructors, but they made an indelibly impressed me with an appreication for how history, culture, and politics intersect. From my first American Studies class to a continuing education seminar last June, I have gained an appreciation for how to think differently and synthesize materials. Those lessons have paid huge dividends over the years in my career, my life, and my pasttimes. I value what I learned directly from them -- and value even more the way they taught me to think.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Freshman Poster

Default Ami Modigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAA_Admin View Post
Was there someone at Carolina a professor, administrator, staff member, another student who was a major influence in your life? Did they give advice, help you through a rough time or inspire by example? Tell us about them and how they made a difference to you.
Ami Modigh was a Nurse Midwife and instructor in the School of Nursing. She was unconventional even among faculty, always pushing the practice barriers just a little further on. She had lectured during my junior and senior years and always fascinated me, but she was not my clinical instructor until my last semester 1972. I married my Carolina sweetheart in '71 after he was drafted, had moved 3 times, had a very upsetting, disappointing rotation in Public Health with an instructor with whom I didn't see eye to eye. I had always wanted a public health career. (I have now worked in that career field for 35 years!) I took my last senior clinicals, 35 hours per week, with Ami Modigh. She asked what I wanted to do. I told her and asked for suggestions. I confided that my confidence was low. She told me I could start my education and career over, she guided me to areas of my interest, including putting me as the second student ever placed on the Clinical Research Unit, treated me as a colleage, and gave me the courage to never look back. I have remembered her when the going got tough. I moved to Texas after graduation, went to grad school, began practice as a Nurse Practitoner in Women's Health. One day got a call from a student requesting a preceptorship with me. Her instructor in San Antonio was Ami Modigh. We reunited after 20 years. She was just as inspiring and continuing to inspire students as she had me. I will never forget her. Linda Santorum Byers '72
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Freshman Poster

Thumbs up

Bernard Boyd was a wonder. I signed up for one of his religion courses with modest expectations. On the first day of class, Dr. Boyd said we needed to know a little about one another. Instead of taking the usual approach by asking each of us to give our name, hometown, major and interest in his course, he did it all himself!

Starting with the first student in the first row, Dr. Boyd told us about each member of the class. I quickly decided that I must be the only newbie in the room and was prepared to hem, haw and sputter out my personal information when necessary. But when he got to me, Dr. Boyd did it all for me and then passed seamlessly on to the next student while I tried to stop my head from spinning.

I subsequently decided that he had simply reviewed the university application of each of the 32 students in his class. Even so, it was impressive that 1) he cared enough to do that, and 2) that he was able to tick off the data about each of us (most of whom he'd never seen before) without a stumble.

Apart from all that, he was a helluva professor and one I will never forget.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Freshman Poster

There were a handful of professors connected with the American Studies department who truly made a difference for me at Carolina. Before I met them, I'd wanted to transfer--I'd come from a very small high school and UNC was so big, with such large classes that I felt alone academically.

That handful included Joy and Jon Kasson and Dan Patterson. But the one who made the most difference to me was Townie Ludington. All of them actually offered to host us undergraduates at pot-lucks at their homes. Townie and his wife repeatedly hosted us.

It was a wonderful department. I'm sure it still is.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Freshman Poster

Default A difference: John Schnorrenberg

Professor John Schnorrenberg - early 1960s - in an undergraduate course, History of Painting

Although art was not my major and I've never attempted painting, that course and John Schnorrenberg's seamless, inspirational presentations formed a model for my own teaching and life. One could argue that those pictures (glass slides, I think!) speak for themselves, but the way he put them into words is something I'll never forget. Fifty years later, art museums are where I go for much of my leisure and where, until retirement, I led educational group experiences in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and Mexico. Until this day, although I rarely visit Chapel Hill, I cannot think of dropping my Ackland membership, and I designate my annual giving to that institution. "Uplifting" is the best word for the entire experience.

Incidentally, that 50-student class included Georgia Kyser, whose experience paralled mine. We found each other in the group because the two of us were spending so much time studying all the little prints in the basement. Although I didn't know her name until Schnorrenberg posted the course grades (another era!), I think what she learned in that class had statewide influence.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Freshman Poster

Default Lisa Doberstein

As a homesick freshman from the NC mountains, I was somehow missed being assigned an upperclassman to show me around the campus. Fortunately, one of my suitemates, Lisa Doberstein, volunteered to do this for me and we became very good friends. And, since her family lived in Chapel Hill, I got the bonus of having a family environment to visit on a regular basis. They invited me to join them in church and other family activities throughout my years at Carolina. It has been over 30 years, but I still remember her parents' phone number in Chapel Hill. Not only Lisa, but her entire family provided encouragement and support during my college years and I will never forget them!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Freshman Poster

Dr. Miles Fletcher. He was a fantastic professor and I took every class of his I could. As a teacher about to begin my 26th year of teaching history, I can honestly say that I owe him a lot of credit. In fact, I quote or reference him all the time. He was terrific in the classroom and as a counselor and advisor.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Freshman Poster

Default 2 Shades of Grey (John Price Patterson Jr & Tyre Green)

I am African American and openly gay, and I came to UNC very close-minded, but I thought I was open-minded. When I entered UNC race relations was a big deal. There was a lot of racism at the university (faculty, employed folks and students). It was tough being and African American student on that campus because you were made to feel you did not belong. Can you believe it? I could write a book in the few sentences I am about to tell you, so I will make it quick. Tyre Green is my best friend, and he has been my best friend ever since I met him at UNC. Tyre is White.

Tyre and I were about as opposite as two people could be, but we shared our belief in God, and that is what brought us together. I was loud, obnoxious, a fighter for people's right, not matter the situation and from a mostly humble beginnings family. Tyre was quiet, typical frat boy (yes, but still quiet), conservative, his mom and her seven sisters graduated from UNC. His father and sister graduated from UNC. His father taught history at UNC and his grandmother graduated from Law School at UNC. Can you say WOW!

Tyre and his family changed my life in how I viewed White people--how I viewed people in general. I had never met nicer, unassuming, non- presumptuous people of a different race, particularly the White race in my life. It was reinforced when he invited me to his home one fall break, as we pulled up to what I thought was a mansion because I had never been in a house so big in my life. He never mentioned a word about the house nor about the wealth his family had. Never.

The entire weekend I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for some type of racial comment or some type of joke or just anything that would say these people are fakers--they have to be faking it! It never came.

Tyre would eventually go on to marry his college sweetheart Sunny Rea, now Sunny Rea Green and the 3 of us became very close--very good friends.

I never let that stop me. Tyre and I never let that come between us, and
I thank God for Tyre Green. I never let a second go by without telling him and his wife how much I love them and how thankful I am he is still a part of my life--he changed my life at UNC!